Re: [tlug] vi and Japanese

"Matt Gushee" <mgushee@example.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, but it isn't necessary any more.  Plain vim (and gvim) support
> > > Japanese now, since version 6.
> >
> > That's good to know. I just tried this out with both vim and gvim
> > started from a kterm with LANG=ja_JP ... there is evidence of Japanese
> > support in both versions (in console vim, the initial welcome screen is
> > in Japanese, and gvim comes up with a Japanese menu), and kinput2 seems
> > to work properly ... but the resulting text is blank in console vim, and
> > mojibake in gvim. Any idea why? Might it be my font settings?

It sounds like font settings, but that seems strange.  In my experience, in
some alphas of version 6 I had to specify a fontset, but in some betas and
the final release it automatically selected appropriate fonts.

> Rather than waiting for an answer, I decided to play with my font
> settings and see what happens. What happened was weird. When I use a
> western font, say lucidatypewriter, kinput2 works but outputs mojibake.
> When I use a Japanese font, though, kinput2 just doesn't work.

Now it's starting to sound like your version of vim is older than version 6?

> Or maybe that's not weird. I use Shift-Space to invoke kinput2, and I
> suppose the Space key emits a different keysym when the font is
> Japanese.

I don't think the keysym knows about the font.  Anyway Shift-Space worked
for me in both console vim and gvim, version 6, in Linux.  Though actually
the way I type, I'd be better off disabling Shift-Space so that it would
just be a space.  Control-O is safe enough for me.