Re: [tlug] vi and Japanese

    Norman> I don't think the keysym knows about the font.

Definitely not.  In fact, in a correctly set up X server physical key
<-> keysym vector is one-one, where the keysym vector is indexed by
(1) Shift modifier state (including Shift Lock) and (2) ISO 9995 group
(a locking state).  However, with a few exceptions (such as the [Lock,
Eisu toggle] that most servers attach to Caps Lock), control functions
and function keys get only one keysym.  Space maps to [Space] on all
servers I've seen.  So Shift Space is always detected in client
software.

You can find out more than you'd ever want to know about X keymapping
with "xkbcomp :0 - | less", or "xkbcomp :0" to save the description in
server-0.xkb.