Re: [tlug] vi and Japanese

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 01:49:17PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:

> > Yes, but it isn't necessary any more.  Plain vim (and gvim) support Japanese
> > now, since version 6.
>
> That's good to know. I just tried this out with both vim and gvim
> started from a kterm with LANG=ja_JP ... there is evidence of Japanese
> support in both versions (in console vim, the initial welcome screen is
> in Japanese, and gvim comes up with a Japanese menu), and kinput2 seems
> to work properly ... but the resulting text is blank in console vim, and
> mojibake in gvim. Any idea why? Might it be my font settings?

Rather than waiting for an answer, I decided to play with my font
settings and see what happens. What happened was weird. When I use a
western font, say lucidatypewriter, kinput2 works but outputs mojibake.
When I use a Japanese font, though, kinput2 just doesn't work.

Or maybe that's not weird. I use Shift-Space to invoke kinput2, and I
suppose the Space key emits a different keysym when the font is
Japanese. If so, I wonder what I should do about it. I've tried before
to set something other than Shift-Space to invoke kinput2, but couldn't
make it work.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA