Re: Software Design (was: Re: [tlug] Confessions of a closet OpenBSDuser)

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Josh> Or, as I proposed, get involved in the projects upon which
>     Josh> you depend and see how things work behind the scenes.
>
> The problem is that you can only do this for a few projects, at
> most---and that only if you can code.  What we really need is an
> way for non-coding True Believers to help.  Financial donations
> (personal or via your influence on Corporate PR/Purchasing), sure, but
> funding from commercial entities (as you point out) doesn't
> necessarily lead to quality control.

I could not agree more. I have long put my money (quite literally) where
my mouth is by buying distributions that I can (and do, actually!) just
download, buying project swag (T-shirts, etc), and in general trying to
give my money projects that I believe in. I do not even game very much,
but I paid for five of Loki's Linux ports, just because I believed
strongly that what they were doing was A Good Thing (tm).

While we are on that topic, how many people on this list keep a Windows
(or dual boot box with a Windows partition) around just for gaming? I
know a lot of people that way. And I know some who will not even install
Linux because they game so much.

> More later.  ;-)

I thought there would be! :)

Seriously, though, I value your input a lot because you *are* a software
engineer and you *do* work on a large project.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.