Re: [tlug] Confessions of a closet OpenBSD user

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 01:42:01PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> My point is just that (1) as developers we need to aspire to standards
> higher than "talented amateur," and (2) as users and admins we need to
> _demand_ higher standards from the development _process_, if we want
> open source to continue to grow healthily, both in the market and
> overall.

So how can we demand higher standards? Well, for starters as Matt as indirectly
suggested, just don't use the product. Perhaps, by some form of natural
selection, the better product will emerge. Or we could convince those with
money, eg corporations, to invest in OSS. Which makes me wonder why we don't
have a non-profit organization to channel funds from corporations to developers.
I mean there are organizations to standardize filesystems, defend developers
rights, etc, why not finance developers.

--
Jack Morgan						<j-morgan@example.com>
GnuPG Key ID: 0x620F545F				http://pgp.mit.edu