Re: [tlug] Confessions of a closet OpenBSD user

On 6/28/2002, "Jack Morgan" <yojack@example.com> wrote:

>Which makes me wonder why we don't
>have a non-profit organization to channel funds from corporations to
developers.
>I mean there are organizations to standardize filesystems, defend
developers
>rights, etc, why not finance developers.

When we want to "channel funds" (most of us would call this "pay" but
different strokes for different folks :-) to Free Software developers, I see
no reason to run them through an NPO so that it can take a cut, even if
everybody there is a volunteer and the cut is purely in the form of
administrative overhead.

We recently wanted some additional features written for a GPLed product, so we
just paid the author to do it.  No fuss, no muss, no NPO :-)

Jonathan