Re: [Re: [Re: [tlug] CVS and Japanese files]]

    Ryan> Stoyan Zhekov <sto@example.com> wrote:

    >> What is create/edit files in SJIS and convert them to UTF-8 for
    >> the CVS?

    Ryan> This is probably what we are going to do. But I don't want
    Ryan> to convert the files manually, since it is too likely that
    Ryan> people will forget and end up screwing up the files.

Why use a hog like Perl (if you're not already using it in that
pipeline)?

cat infile.utf8 | iconv -t shift_jis -f utf-8 >outfile.sjis

The iconv manpage sucks, though.

    Ryan> Later when our tools support direct editing in UTF I can get
    Ryan> rid of the filters.

Both flavors of Emacsen do to a limited extent, as does Yudit.  XEmacs
support for UTF-8 and Unicode in general will get radically better in
the fall as long as you can work with a beta release.  (It's radically
better now, but for the last 72 hours current CVS didn't even build.
I'd like to call that beta, but.... ;-)  XEmacs will work on both Unix
and Windows with native support for Win NT Unicode APIs.

GNU Emacs has approximately the same features, but I can't make
promises for them---I'm plugging the product backed up by my sweat and
tears ;-)  I'm pretty sure they won't have NT Unicode API support, I
also don't think they'll be supporting UTF-8 Japanese directly for a
while, you'll need Mule-UCS which has been relocated to 0xDEADBEEF now
that both Emacsen are heading in the direction of native support for
Unicode.