Re: [tlug] Disparity between quota and du output

> - "df and du give me different output"
> - "du and quota give me different output"
> - "du and foo give me different output"
>
> So I rather suspect a bug in du, as the posters have noticed this on
> different versions of Solaris, Linux, *BSD, etc. This would be strange,
> as du has been around for a long time, but... ? I have not slogged
> through the source yet, however. Maybe later today.

My understanding is that the issue is often because du only measures
what the reported file size is while df (and possibly other utilities)
measure the actual amount of space the file uses. However given the
huge size difference that Johnathan is seeing that doesn't seem like a
likely explanantion.

--Matt