[tlug] RH7.3 and ldconfig question

My relationship with Linux is mainly one of "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it."

Well yesterday, through a combination of (my) stupidity and bad design in the
installer for a certain Well-Known-Package (WKP), I broke it. To be
precise I let it delete /usr/bin. Now a Linux system in which /usr/bin
contains one binary (yes, WKP), it of limited use to man or beast.

Since it was RH7.1, I decided to move up to 7.3. I have to report that
the upgrade was almost completely painless. I daresay I'll stumble
across a few things that will need retweaking, but so far the only thing
I had to do was the suid thing with smbmnt. Dunno why that's not done as
a default.

Anyway, up2date now runs all the way without a dependency glitch, which
is something.

A question about this, though. As up2date runs, it spits out a series of
messages:

	/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 is not a symbolic link
	/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 is not a symbolic link

Does anyone know why it does this? There is something Microsoftish
about these messages, in that they are (a) true - they are not
symlinks, and (b) useless (to me at least).

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298