Re: [tlug] HowToStartOpenOfficeAfterInstall?

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:36:16 +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> I installed Open Office 1.0 under root on my Mandrake 8.1 box, and I
> know where it is on the drive, but I can't find a way to fire up the
> software to use it!  When I installed it on my RedHat 7.2 box, there was
> a tab to click on under "Favorites", but how can make my own?  I haven't
> been able to use the program with the Mandrake box yet......

As I recall, you run it by typing
/usr/local/<openofficedirectory>/program/soffice
Provided you did the install correctly and defaulted to using /usr/local

> Another question.  When saving files as .txt or other formats that my
> MicroMuck boxes read, when using RedHat 7.2, the files were compatible
> in both directions, but with my Mandrake 8.1 box, flies saved with
> MicroMuck are readable with Mandrake, but files saved with Mandrake are
> not readable with MicroMuck. What can I do to make the files readable in
> both directions?

Hrm.  In what way are they not readable?  Line breaks not in the right
place?  Is this Japanese text that is all garbled on the Windows box?

> One more question.  With Mandrake, it automatically mounts the CD and
> Windoz partitions, but with RedHat, while I stumbled onto how to mount
> the CD once - I haven't been able to repeat it on another installation,
> and I've never been able to access MicroMuck's home, the c: drive.

man mount

Your c drive is most likely of type vfat and also likely to be /dev/hda1,
but it's not my machine, so I can't say for sure.

Your cdrom is likely to be /dev/hdc.

man df
man fdisk  (Look at the -l option)
man dmesg

Those should give you all the information you need to solve this.

Michael