Re: [tlug] Partitions and Partition Magic

From Windows, you make your partitions and set everything up like you want
it.
Then you reboot and boot from the Linux CD's and install.
During install, be careful. You can mount the fat or fat32 partitions under
disk druid by giving them a name like /fatboy or /fatdata or /sumo. Then
when you are selecting where to install lilo/ grub, if you are still
Windows-dependent (like me), you should install grub to the first sector of
the boot disk and not the MBR. If you overwrite the MBR, it will be very
difficult to get your Windows back. I think that GRUB can boot up Windows,
but I am not sure. I use 2000, and it is actually aware of its disk
configuration, so I try to keep Linux as far out of sight of MS as
possible.Also, I don't think Linux supports NTFS yet, so any 2000 NTFS
system disk would not be bootable.

But basically, you just partition, reboot from Linux CD, install GRUB into
the first sector of the Linux boot partition, and then install BootMagic in
the Windows system. Once you activate BootMagic, you will be able to choose
between Linux and Windows at startup.

Just give it a shot. As long as you don't do an automated install (always
pick custom) and you don't overwrite the MBR (Master Boot Record), you will
not wipe out your Windows system.

When you choose RedHat installations, pick Custom, because the other
installations will reformat your entire disk and wipe out Windows. I have
never done this, but that is what the RedHat documentation says it will do.
I believe them.

Micheal