Re: [tlug] CLI admin how-to ideas?

>     Matt> It could happen in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.
>     Matt> The fact is that the people who do the developement don't
>     Matt> see the need.[3]
>
> This is not universally true, as I pointed out earlier.  Besides the
> Emacs Customize stuff mentioned there, I believe that autoconf 2.5x
> generates its own usage message (formerly you had to provide it
> yourself).  Lispers have always had docstrings.  There are the
> pod-people (er, PERL people).  Python provides docstrings the way Lisp
> does, although rarely used for variables/attributes.  Literate and
> Extreme programming seem to have more advocates all the time, although
> how many open source hackers are devotees I can't say.

Well are we talking relevant documentation for ease of use, something I
think there is concern for, or are we talking about gui config tools?
I think your idea of an editor with context sensitive help is actually a
great idea and certainly seems more like a synergy rather than a compromise
between text editor crowd and the shiny gui folks.  I still don't think
community by and large are showing much interest in providing gui based
tools for administration.[1] I imagine a number in the hackers do put
value to the concepts found in both XP[2] and LP, but I wonder if that
extends to a graphical config tools for the end users in their minds. I
know it doesn't in my mind even though I agree with basic tenents of both.

>     Matt> [3]: When will those pesky hackers see the light emanating
>     Matt> from Redmont and follow MS down the enlightened path. ;)
>
> Funny you should use the word "enlightened".  There seem to be a fair
> number ensnared of Lucifer and transparency....

fortunately for most of the open source hackers run from anything resembling
light so I think they are beyond MS allure. ;)

--Matt

[1]: as with all things there are exceptions. Samba with Swat is one off
     the top of my head.

[2]: doesn't that abbr. give you the hibi-jibis even when you know you
     are talking about Xtreme Programming?
--
"Take away them collisions and the common channel and it's like Christianity
 without Christ." -Jim Breen (speaking about "full-duplex" Ethernet)