Re: [tlug] configuration

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 12:47:22PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Marlo> To be honest, I don't have the exact model number, it's a
>     Marlo> no-name brand I bought at Fry's Electronics (a huge
>     Marlo> retailer in the states).  It's a Kaiser based on the S3
>     Marlo> chipset 4 meg.  but I'll have to open the box to get the

There's no such thing as "the S3 chipset" -- rather, there are a number
of chipsets made by S3. And which one you have could be important. I
recently tried to install XFree86 4.1.0 on my aging IBM box, and found
to my chagrin that my card wasn't supported. I have an S3 Trio 64V, which
I think was very common a few years ago but is probably no longer being
made; they were well supported under XFree86 3.x, but I could only run
at very low resolution under 4.1. The good news is version 4.2 has an
accelerated driver -- see

  http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status28.html#28   and
  http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status28.html#28

for details.

>     Marlo> chipset 4 meg.  but I'll have to open the box to get the
>     Marlo> exact model number.

I'd say that's a good idea, wouldn't you?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA