Re: [tlug] CD Writers

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric O. Flores <goripi@example.com>
Subject: Re: [tlug] CD Writers

> The device file name representing the CD-Writer has to be passed to the
> driver in the Linux kernel.  Right! for the lilo.conf we add
hdb=ide-scsi.
> if the driver is statically compiled into my kernel, which I really don't
> know! According to the "CD-Writing How To" this is the most common setup.

Yup. To the best of my knowledge, SCSI emulation can only be compiled into
the kernel. There is no option to modularise it.

> Now my case is that I am using grup.  Will the same append command for
lilo
> work on grub?

Nope. You want to do this in GRUB:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.9-31)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.9-31 ro root=/dev/hda2 hdb=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.9-31.img

According to the GRUB documentation, anything after the kernel image
filename is passed by GRUB's kernel command verbatim to the kernel. So the
above should be fine.

G'luck.
-Josh