Re: [tlug] Using TAR

(I'd sent a reply, but Baehr's damned send-two-copies-of-each-response ate
it)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:30:26PM +0100, Martin Baehr wrote:

> for linux that is 2x memory.

Depends on vm implementation.  1:1 is all that I will trust, else one will
have their machine swap itself to death under moderate load.

> hmm, there is no benefit in seperating /usr and /usr/X11R6

Wrong.  X is not an integral part of the OS.  X decides to blow chunks over
its filesystem, it had better be separate from /usr lest you lose the whole
damned machine.

> in general these numbers need to be higher to accomodate
> a typical linux install.

Yeah?  Install what you need, and only what you need.  Base X install, from
XFree86 sources, will definitely fit in the constraints that I have given.
Non-base-X-install does not belong in /usr/X11R6, and a pox on linux distros
that have taught otherwise.

-- Chris