Re: Slow ADSL !

Asa Liton (leyton@example.com) wrote:

> freezed. So I had to hard reset the machine. At start up there war some
> thing like : Press Ctrl-D for blah blah...../ Run fsck manually etc. I don't
> know what this means and couldn't boot Linux. So I had to go for a new
> installation.

OK, fsck is the File System ChecK program.  It runs at startup to make
sure they are clean.  Since you had to do a hard reset, they were not
unmounted cleanly.  This is the same thing that happens if you
hard reset Windows and it does a file system check at boot.

Sometime fsck will need to be run manually because it can't
automatically clean your files ystems up.  That's what it wanted you
to do.

What you should do if this happens again is do ctrl-d like it says,
then do the manual fsck.  To do that, you will need to know what
your disk partitions are.  To find this out, look in /etc/fstab
and keep a copy of that somewhere other than on your computer, so
that you have it available if you can't remember what they are.

Your fsck program should be in /sbin (check on your system to
make sure).  To find out how to run fsck, you can read the fsck
man page by typing:

man fsck

Hopefully, it won't freeze up before you finish reading it :-)

Good luck,

Jonathan