Re: X does not start

>>>>> "Hector" == Hector Akamine <akamine@example.com> writes:

> > My computer suddenly refused to start X

Do you normally use startx and not xdm (or similar)?  When did you
_start_ the last successful session?

> > AUDIT: Thu Aug 30 09:41:16 2001: 6343 X: client 1 rejected from local
> > host
> > Xlib: connection to ":0:0" refused by server
> > Xlib: client is not authorized to connect to server

X is started, I'm pretty sure.  However, your authorization system is
screwed up, so it refused to allow the window manager to start.  Most
likely changing VTs and starting an xterm with xterm -display :0 won't
work either, but you can try that.

> > Did any file get corrupted? How can I fix it?

Check the permissions on the files ~/.ICEauthority and ~/.Xauthority,
and on your home directory.  It's highly unlikely that your home
directory is not writable by you, but I've actually intentionally set
things up that way on occasion.  The files should be -rw-------.  It's
quite possible that Red Hat expects xdm to start the server, in which
case the server would set up to expect Xlib to have a cookie available
in one of those files.

    Hector> I forgot to mention that I didn't make any change in the
    Hector> system that could be causing the problem

It's quite possible that a latent change made weeks before could be
the cause.  This depends on your usage pattern.  In particular, if
your X server stays up for months, as mine does....