Re: Can canna completely replace {Free}Wnn? (for CJK)

    Jiro>  Sorry if you don't like my English expression.  I'm not
    Jiro> native, so I may use rude expression, but definitely I don't
    Jiro> mean it;-).

No, it wasn't rude at all.  By "pedantic" I simply meant that the
level of detail was higher than most people on this list will
understand, although it is correct according to the technical
definitions.  I was using the word "protocol" in the same way as I
understand you to use "framework".  It's a generalization of "API,"
"network protocol", and "ABI."  I didn't use "framework" because in
general usage doesn't seem "technical" enough, and nobody knows about
IIIMF itself.

What's important for people to understand is that if they get XIM- or
IIIMF-based systems, they are not locked in to a particular set of
languages (Wnn doesn't do Thai), UIs (the cxterm input server works
only with cxterm), or dictionary systems (SKK's dictionaries aren't as
"smart" as Wnn's).  These are _open_ frameworks, so (eg, with XIM) if
you like kinput2 as the UI but Wnn's dictionary, you can have that.
Thus, you can "kaizen" your input method, by upgrading or changing the
different parts separately.

This is not possible with cxterm or Quail.  Some people think cxterm
is the best free Chinese method, but you can't use it with Emacs in a
native X window, you have to run Emacs in a cxterm.  Or even if you
like Quail, you have to live with Emacs's strange idea of terminal
emulation to use Quail to communicate with a shell.  XIM and IIIMF are
general frameworks intended to avoid these problems, and even permit
cross-platform portability of the UIs.

    >> Ah, so they got the name confusion fixed, did they?

    Jiro>  sorry, I don't know what you mean...

At one point the li18nux.org URL went to some page with some
information related to I18N and early organizational efforts of
Li18nux, but no current information of Li18nux.