Re: Can canna completely replace {Free}Wnn? (for CJK)

 Hi

At Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:01:24 +0900,
Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@example.com> wrote:

>>> IIIMF is not an IM, it is a protocol through which IMs can
>>> talk.
>
>     Jiro>  That's not true.  IIIMF stands for Internet Intranet Input
>     Jiro> Method Framework, and it's Yet another IM(framework).  I
>     Jiro> think what you mentioned is IIIMP (IIIM Protocol).
>
> OK, if you want to be pedantic.  The point is that according to
> Hiura's presentations (last time I checked, about 4 months ago, there
> was no code or documentation to be found) IIIMF is not a server or
> input method itself, it is a combination of the network protocol
> (IIIMP) and the API.  No different from XIM in concept.  Just better
> designed, with somewhat different names, and not limited to use with X
> (I hope).

 Sorry if you don't like my English expression.
I'm not native, so I may use rude expression,
but definitely I don't mean it;-).

 Well, O.K, the word "IIIMF" itself is not exactly IM.  You right.
But IIIMF consists of IIIMP,  IIIMCF(client framework)
and IIIMSF(server framekwork).  And server framekwork includes im server.

 And as you said, IIIMF is not limited to X, but plat home neutral.
There are several client side framework, such are IIIMXCF
(X Client Framework), IIIMJCF(Java Client Framework).

> I don't understand your response to the retargeting point.  Why can't
> somebody write an iiimfwnmo to do for Wnn and IIIMF what xwnmo (or
> kinput2) does for Wnn and XIM?

 nhh? I didn't mean it.  Maybe I made you confused
(or Maybe I'm confusd), but I just mention that wnn protocol
never replace with IIIMP, wnnserver never need to TALK IIIMP.

 It's off course possible to make wnn conversion engine module
for IIIMSF, and that's not difficult at all.
Well, if you meant it(expressed by "talk IIIMF"), it's o.k.
I just thought you might misunderstand IIIMF... so..

 And if there is wnn conversion engine module for IIIMSF, it'll be
usual to make client side modules for wnn specific functionality
(I think it's "iiimfwnmo" in your word).

>>  You can find the implementation of IIIMF with Xlib-I18N on
>> the http://www.li18nux.org/ web page :-)
>
> Ah, so they got the name confusion fixed, did they?

 sorry, I don't know what you mean...

> Jeez, what a lynx-unfriendly page.

 Yeahh, that's right ;-).  May be we need to fix it..
--
Jiro SEKIBA | Web tools & AP Linux Competency Center, YSL, IBM Japan