Re: RH 6.2 install causes screen to explode

Thomas O'Dowd:

>> rpm -q --whatprovides libtcl*
>>
>> which said that nothing provided it.

> This command only works if you have a package installed
> that provides it, in which case the dependancy would have
> worked in the first place :)

Ah.  Sorry, I thought it was a search-for-files-inside-archived-files
sort of thingie.

Apropos of mutually dependent whossits:

> just install them on the same line...
>
> # rpm -ihv tcl* tk-8*

It never occurred to me that that might work. Rather neat. Thank you!

Michael Doughty:

> At the point it is asking about what video card you have,
> can't you just swap over to another virtual term (ieAlt-<F2>)
> and do any necessary reconfig there?

But but but but first, I've never been asked what video card the
computer had. The first time around, the installation procedure tried to
guess (without telling me it was about to do so) and guessed wrongly.
The second time, it told me that the computer had such-and-such a video
card (which it didn't) and gave me two choices: OK or Back.  So much for
the "expert text" mode -- I'd gathered all this expertise about the
computer, and was ready to answer lots of questions that I was never
asked. No, the expertise is involved in having to divine the business
about revs per minute [mumble mumble fume grr]

Secondly, look, I'm just a simple guy who's used to CP/M and its more or
less horrible derivatives. (As far as Win2K, that is. I draw the line at
anything newer.) I didn't even know that you can switch to other virtual
terminals during installation. Never overestimate a newbie! This isn't
Albert Einstein here, y'know, just another "special" user.

Marrovfact, I've just been congratulating myself on -- get this --
turning off the computer!  Yes, having figured out how to mount the
CD-ROM some hours previously, I then forgot how I'd done this. So I had
to dig around for the command and then substitute "umount" for "mount".
Secondly, I had a hell of a job finding how to close the whole thing down.
The books talk about how to close down Gimp or KDE, but there's nothing
in the index under "switch", "turn", etc. I actually found "halt", all
by myself. Wow! I can turn on my Linux system, I can move from one
directory to another, I can do a directory listing, I can turn off my
Linux system. So gimme some merit stars, OK?

Sorry, had to blow up (at myself). Thank you all, you've been vastly
more patient than I would have been. Tomorrow and the day after I have
to attend to, um, more central concerns of my paying job. But I'll be
back, with a continuing stream of tiresome questions.  Till then!