Re: RH 6.2 install causes screen to explode

> But but but but first, I've never been asked what video card the
> computer had. The first time around, the installation procedure tried to
> guess (without telling me it was about to do so) and guessed wrongly.
> The second time, it told me that the computer had such-and-such a video
> card (which it didn't) and gave me two choices: OK or Back.  So much for
> the "expert text" mode -- I'd gathered all this expertise about the
> computer, and was ready to answer lots of questions that I was never
> asked. No, the expertise is involved in having to divine the business
> about revs per minute [mumble mumble fume grr]
>
> Secondly, look, I'm just a simple guy who's used to CP/M and its more or
> less horrible derivatives. (As far as Win2K, that is. I draw the line at
> anything newer.) I didn't even know that you can switch to other virtual
> terminals during installation. Never overestimate a newbie! This isn't
> Albert Einstein here, y'know, just another "special" user.
>
> Marrovfact, I've just been congratulating myself on -- get this --
> turning off the computer!  Yes, having figured out how to mount the
> CD-ROM some hours previously, I then forgot how I'd done this. So I had
> to dig around for the command and then substitute "umount" for "mount".
> Secondly, I had a hell of a job finding how to close the whole thing down.
> The books talk about how to close down Gimp or KDE, but there's nothing
> in the index under "switch", "turn", etc. I actually found "halt", all
> by myself. Wow! I can turn on my Linux system, I can move from one
> directory to another, I can do a directory listing, I can turn off my
> Linux system. So gimme some merit stars, OK?
>
> Sorry, had to blow up (at myself). Thank you all, you've been vastly
> more patient than I would have been. Tomorrow and the day after I have
> to attend to, um, more central concerns of my paying job. But I'll be
> back, with a continuing stream of tiresome questions.  Till then!

I know it has been said, but may have been forgotten in the blather.
It is entirely possible that your video card isn't supported by
XF86 3.3.X in which case you are wasting time with RH 6.2.  I will
say again Debian is better long term than RH hasn't really used
apt. It isn't a small difference at all as far as package management goes.
Also, can you tell us exactly what graphics card you have, appologies if
you already said, and I missed it. Either way I recommend switching to
a XFree4 distro.

//Matt