Re: RH 6.2 install causes screen to explode

> I've recently installed several packages from the Red Hat 7.1 extra
> CD-ROM disks with RPM. This works as follows:
>
> -- When you tick off packages you want to install, then press Install,
>  it will pop up a warning if any dependencies aren't met and list the
>  missing parts.
>
> -- You can then choose to install anyway, or go back and untick the
>  problem packages, or try to find the missing parts and add them to the
>  install.
>
> Of course, none of this helps Peter until he has his X-GUI in place. If
> I were in his shoes, I would probably start over with the text-based
> install but this time remember to add the X-rated stuff.

Actually, my point was that while it tells you about dependencies it doesn't
actively download and install the needed packages automatically, which apt
does.  NetBSD pkgsrc does something very simillar to this. I believe Ports
does also.  With Redhat if you don't already have a package you have to
download it by hand and install it manually. There is no automated conflict/
dependency resolution built in.

//Matt