Re: RH 6.2 install causes screen to explode

Matt Doughty <mdoughty@example.com> wrote:

     I don't think there is anyway to resolve conflicts easily using
   RPMs. Anything that does [resolve them] is a wrapper around rpm since
   the functionality isn't there natively.

I've recently installed several packages from the Red Hat 7.1 extra
CD-ROM disks with RPM. This works as follows:

-- When you tick off packages you want to install, then press Install,
 it will pop up a warning if any dependencies aren't met and list the
 missing parts.

-- You can then choose to install anyway, or go back and untick the
 problem packages, or try to find the missing parts and add them to the
 install.

Of course, none of this helps Peter until he has his X-GUI in place. If
I were in his shoes, I would probably start over with the text-based
install but this time remember to add the X-rated stuff.

(I don't understand the story about the install routine going ahead
without offering a chance to correct the video information. Every
Linux installer I've ever used has been very good about letting you
confirm this information and actually test it before proceeding. That
goes back to TurboLinux 2 and includes earlier and later RH versions.)

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo        <dehoog@example.com>