Re: Why is Yahoo BB able to offer 8Mbps?

John De Hoog <dehoog@example.com> wrote:

> Yahoo, like Tokyo Metallic whom they are buying out, uses a North
> American standard. The other providers such as eAccess and NTT use a
> more limited standard. It was originally thought that the North American
> standard would not work in Japan due to interference with NTT's ISDN.
> In practice this has turned out not to be true. Tokyo Metallic has
> already demonstrated 6 Mbps throughput using this standard, and Yahoo
> has been able to tweak their network to get the 8 Mbps figure.

Still, 8Mbps is the theoretical throughput you can get if the length of
the copper to the CO is short enough; the throughput drops pretty quickly
with distance so you might end up with 1.5Mbps or below anyway.  Still,
for half the price, I wouldn't complain too much...

Stephen