Re: Why is Yahoo BB able to offer 8Mbps?

Kyle Wright <webmaster@example.com> wrote:

     I have tried looking for information as to why Yahoo!'s BB service
     claims that the max bandwidth of its ADSL service will be 8Mbps as
     opposed to all the other ADSL providers only offering a max bandwidth
     of 1.5Mbps.  However, I have yet to find an explanation as to why
     Yahoo! can do this.  Does Yahoo! have some secret formula or do they
     just plan on opening the bandwidth tap wider than the others or are
     they just putting up fancy numbers (like their deceptive price tag or
     990 yen/month @ http://bb.yahoo.co.jp/ )?  What concerns me is that
     Yahoo! says they they will be using a best-effort ADSL (
     http://bbpromo.yahoo.co.jp/promotion/m_5/index.html#52 ).  Should I be
     concerned about this, that is, should I go ahead and get NTT's FLETs
     ADSL or should I wait for Yahoo!'s ADSL?

Yahoo, like Tokyo Metallic whom they are buying out, uses a North
American standard. The other providers such as eAccess and NTT use a
more limited standard. It was originally thought that the North American
standard would not work in Japan due to interference with NTT's ISDN.
In practice this has turned out not to be true. Tokyo Metallic has
already demonstrated 6 Mbps throughput using this standard, and Yahoo
has been able to tweak their network to get the 8 Mbps figure.

Specifically, here is some information from Internet Watch, Impress's online newsletter...

$B!!:NMQ$9$k(BADSL$B%b%G%`$O(BG.992.1$B!J(BG.dmt$B!K(BAnnexA$B=`5r$N$b$N$@$,!"!VCD$K$h$kIJe$N%f!<%6!<$G$OLdBj$J$$$H$7$F$*$j!"(B

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo        <dehoog@example.com>