Re: Q.

HMMm!!!

> ld.so.conf is supposed to contain the paths to shared libraries. If you
> update this, make sure to run `ldconfig` afterwards. Check out its manpage
> for more.

Yep, OK. I was missing the 'ldconfig' part in the sequence of tasks. The good
news is that it seemd to alocate the path correctly but the bad news is that
the system then crashed and now will not reboot, it hangs up on  'Do not
recognise library files .....' and the just sits there until i switch it of.
Rescue disc does the same! Help!

> When you say stuff like `configure did not work` then please include the
> error messages too (namely the end of config.log)

Sorry, the error message was implied as it was exactly the same error as
previously had occured. eg. could not find crt1.o

> > 2. Over the past year I've tried all sorts of things to get my soundcard
> > to work. Initial clues are during boot up when the boot script informs
> > me that the soundcard check FAILED because "Sound device or resource
> > busy".
>
> Either you're trying to load the wrong module(s) or the irq/io parameters
> are not correct.
>

> > Today as I was investigating the USB ports, I noticed Linux has
> > assigned IRQ 5 to both the USB port and the soundcard. Is this
> > acceptable or is it the root of my problems?

I can confirm that both the sound card and USB port are using the same
interrupt.IRQ5. The USB  is a PCI device, it is my understanding that a PCI
device needs an IRQ change through the Bios. Is this true? My Bios simply
allows USB to be enabled or desabled, no IRQ allocation to be found. Similarly
the souncard IRQ cannot be changed. How can I change the IRQ allocation?

By the way the  soundcard has a VIA chipset and is soundblaster 16 compatable.

begin:vcard
n:Lindfield;Dan
tel;cell:+81 90 8558 5697
tel;fax:+81 3 5304 7560
tel;work:+81 3 3370 3527
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Rolls Royce International Ltd;Representative - Japan
version:2.1
email;internet:dan.lindfield@example.com
adr;quoted-printable:;;Richmonde Palace 101=0D=0AYoyogi 4-42-11;Shibuya-Ku;Tokyo;151-0053;Japan
fn:Dan Lindfield
end:vcard