Re: Q.

Dan Lindfield wrote:

> Yep, OK. I was missing the 'ldconfig' part in the sequence of tasks. The good
> news is that it seemd to alocate the path correctly but the bad news is that
> the system then crashed and now will not reboot, it hangs up on  'Do not
> recognise library files .....' and the just sits there until i switch it of.

what did you put in ld.so.conf ?

> Rescue disc does the same! Help!

It's not a rescue disk then. I usually use a bootable linux installer cd for
rescue (if it ever happens).
There should be a free console with a shell running, just mount your old root to
some path then correct what you've messed up.

> Sorry, the error message was implied as it was exactly the same error as
> previously had occured. eg. could not find crt1.o

On my system this (/usr/lib/crt1.o) is in the libc6-dev package. If your linker
cannot find stuff under /usr/lib you're in trouble.

> I can confirm that both the sound card and USB port are using the same
> interrupt.IRQ5. The USB  is a PCI device, it is my understanding that a PCI
> device needs an IRQ change through the Bios. Is this true? My Bios simply
> allows USB to be enabled or desabled, no IRQ allocation to be found. Similarly
> the souncard IRQ cannot be changed. How can I change the IRQ allocation?

Some BIOSes allow to manually assign IRQ to devices.
First you should check the settings under that other OS, if both the USB and
soundcard work fine with the same IRQ then I would leave it like that.

> By the way the  soundcard has a VIA chipset and is soundblaster 16 compatable.

If you're trying to use the modules written for the original (100% compatible) SB
soundcards, you shouldn't be surprised that it fails to work.

--
B0Ti.