HELP !!

Hi, My name is jennifer from venezuela(living in Tokyo), Im new to tlug and
totally new to Linux and Unix.
I hear about Linux through a magazine and fall in love with the idea, I need
some advice on how to get started. my knowledge is nothing more than send an
emain from internet explorer... I'd like to know about some very, very,
basic on-line tutorial to Linux (I guess, maybe I need to start from unix)...
BTW, What is a kernel?
Sorry my terrible english,

Regars,
Jenny.