Re: ADSL again

Tim Hurman (kano-tlug@example.com) wrote:

> I was under the impression that an ISP such as Tokyo Metallic would be
> able to deal with NTT so such an extent that they just hand over a router
> and say "go play".

Essentially, yes.

> However from what is being said on the list ot sounds like I need to rent
> an ADSL modem from NTT and pay and ISP?

No.  You get the modem or router from your DSL provider.  This
provider may be NTT, who is also in the DSL business, but
it doesn't have to be.

The actual DSL line belongs to NTT, regardless of who your provider
is, just as with any other Internet access.

> If this is so, what are the best ISPs to use?, I dont mind about dynamic

Avoid NTT just because they're NTT :-)

eaccess or any of eaccess's client ISPs can provide either a
router or USB DSL modem.

> I was going to go with Tokyo Metallic as they seem about the cheapest and
> I have heard they provide a good service.

They are reasonable good, however, they are also in serious
financial trouble:

http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-6069391-0.html?tag=ats

I don't believe they will suddenly vanish as some US DSL providers have,
but take that into consideration when choosing a provider.

<Disclaimer: I am employed by a competitor of Tokyo Metallic>

Jonathan