Re: networking trouble

B0Ti (9915104t@example.com) wrote:

> My ISP is leasing an NTT OCN line (128k) for its server. They're providing
> internet services for the dorm I live in using the phonelines with a TUT
> Systems Home Run adapter that connects to an ethernet card.

Dang, that must be slow!

So what happens is you call a number on the internal phone system of
the dorm to get Internet access, right?  In that case, their access
server is probably assigning it's IP pool out of 192.168.1.0/24,
so some of the addresses in that range will be in use at any
given time.

If the "ISP" is only giving you one IP address, obtained by
dialup, then a setup like the one below should work.  Note
that this requires two NICs in your desktop machine.  It's
just like dialing into a real ISP that assigns an IP address
to the dialup host.  If you want more machines on the link,
the dialup host has to NAT for them:

***************
dialup        *  phone line|               eth0 *****************
access        *---------------------------------*Your desktop   *
server        *            |       192.168.1.83 * machine       *
192.168.1.254 *                                 *****************
***************
                                                 | eth1 (192.168.2.1)
                                                 |
                                                 | eth0 (192.168.2.2)
                                     *****************
                                     * Your notebook *
                                     *         ***************
                                     *****************       *
                                               *    VMWare   *
                                               * 192.168.2.3 *
                                               ***************

In this example, the desktop is being assigned 192.168.1.6 by the
access server.  It's gateway is 192.168.1.1

The desktop serves as the NAT box for the notebook machine.

Network 192.168.2.0/24 is connected to eth0 on the
desktop, and is NATted.

The notebook's eth0 has address 192.168.2.2, and it's
gateway is 192.168.2.1.

In VMWare, give Windows 192.168.2.3 for its virtualized NIC
as presented to it by VMWare.  It's gateway will also be
192.168.2.1.

Jonathan