Re: networking trouble

Jonathan Q wrote:

> Your ISP is really assigning you that address?  Interesting, because
> it's non-routable. Is this a cable modem or something
> that is NATting an inside network for you, with a global IP
> address on it's uplink interface?

>Tell me more about your whole setup and I'll give a more definitive
>answer on that.

My ISP is leasing an NTT OCN line (128k) for its server. They're providing
internet services for the dorm I live in using the phonelines with a TUT
Systems Home Run adapter that connects to an ethernet card. Of course they're
NATting, this I how I got 192.168.1.83 assigned. Since this is the only IP
address that works, I had to do MASQ on my own machine for my subnet. Probably
it better than asking my ISP for more IP adresses (on 192.168.1.0), cause i'm
sure they would charge me a lot plus it would take months to get it done (the
way things go here in Japan)
I connected the uplink cable from the adapter to a hub. Desktop and laptop are
also connected to it, so whatever goes through my subnet goes to the ISP's
server also.
That's why I think that using 192.168.1.* numbers might cause an interference
for other customers of the ISP.

B0Ti.