networking trouble

Hello Tlug,

I'm having difficulties setting up vmware on the local network.
I have 3 machines on the network, I'll call them desktop, laptop and
vmware.

desktop:
IP address: 192.168.1.83 (assigned by the ISP)
Netmask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254

laptop:
IP address: 192.168.2.10
Netmask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.83

vmware:
IP address: 192.168.2.11
Netmask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.83

IP masquerading is set up on desktop, laptop can access the internet
through desktop.
The problem is with vmware (running win95):
pinging vmware from desktop works.
pinging vmware from laptop works.
pinging laptop from vmware (win95) works.
pinging desktop from vmware  doesn't work (request timed out)
Obviously I can ping 192.168.2.* but not 192.168.1.* from vmware, thus I
 cannot access the internet through desktop.

Probably I'm doing something nasty.
help!!

--
B0Ti.