Re: Tokyo high-speed access

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 01:35:43PM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:

>     5.1 Tokyu Cable
>
> [Thanks to Alberto Tomita for this section]
>
> They use some sort of IP masquerading so that hosts inside their net can
> not be seen from outside. UDP packets are blocked at the gateway. IP
> addresses assigned by DHCP are in the private address space. Their own
> Internet connection is provided by IIJ through a 100Mbps link.
> Internally, they have a 622Mbps ATM backbone connecting their 6
> re-broadcasting stations. Bandwidth from these stations to the cable
> modem is said to be 14.3Mbps (the cable modem rental fee is included in
> the service, 5200 yen per month, or 7000 yen/month for the Internet+CATV
> service -- CATV alone is 3800 yen/month). The cable modem brand is
> "Terayon" http://www.terayon.com/products/cablemodem/modem.shtml A hub
> can be connected to it, allowing more than one computer to be on the net
> (they all get their IP addresses by DHCP).

     5.2 Jcom (Urawa) [1]

They use @example.com for their upstream connectivity. Monthly free is around Y6,000
for internet, Y9,800 for internet and cable T.V. You receive one "Dynamic"
IP but I found my IP could forward and reverse lookup, eg USERID.urawa1.kt.home.ne.jp
I nerver had a chance to test setting up a server and doing IP masquerating
because I moved to tokyo :-(
Found speeds of 700 Kbps down.

BTW, Tokyo classified just ran an article covering this topic.
http://www.tokyoclassified.com/tokyofeaturestories/tokyofeaturestoriesinc.htm

[1] note Jcom Urawa and Jcom Tokyo are two different companies.

JMorgan