Re: ATOK messed up after XF86-4.0.2 upgrade

    Neil> I downloaded and tried Xemacs; that gave me an interesting
    Neil> warning:

    Neil> (1) (xim-xlib/info) X Input Method open failed. Waiting for
    Neil> an XIM to be enabled.

    Neil> This may be related to the null pointer return you
    Neil> discussed.  Or I could have XIM set up wrongly; I've not
    Neil> investigated further yet.

Most likely.  Here's the relevant XEmacs code (exactly what you'd think):

  DEVICE_X_XIM (d) = xim = XOpenIM (dpy, XtDatabase (dpy), name, class);

  /* much code, including end of one function and beginning of
     another, elided, but I tell you 3 times, it's OK */

  if (!xim)
    {
      xim_info ("X Input Method open failed. Waiting for an XIM to be enabled.\n");
      return;
    }

(DEVICE_X_XIM is an XEmacs-specific accessor macro for an XEmacs X_XIM
object.)