Re: Tiresome not-even-newbie question

>>>>> "cs" == Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@example.com> writes:

    cs> On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 03:21:05PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull
    cs> wrote:
    >> My Gateway 2k 3350 is still in that state for NetBSD because
    >> XFree86 3.x doesn't support the video (Linux, with XFree86
    >> 4.02, _barely_ does, and not all that well).

    cs> Eh?  What chipset?

ATI Rage Mobility LM, 4MB.

The problem I'm seeing is that the framebuffer seems to be out of sync
with the built-in panel.  This applies to both the VGA16 framebuffer
support in the kernel (the bottom line trails a few pixels off the
bottom of the screen) and the Mach64 XF86 4.0.2 driver (which trails a
few pixels off the top and leaves a white bar at the bottom).

Oh, you know what the mouse problem was?  "protocol wsmouse"  :-P

I am not impressed with wscons, it seems to have been designed on the
fly by HJL (well, maybe that's going too far...).  It's not like they
didn't have X and the Linux virtual console and GNU screen etc to pick
the best features from.  :-(

The "Ctl-Alt-F3 toggles APM BIOS status window" problem I first saw
with NetBSD is also present on Linux.  So it is a BIOS problem as we
suspected.

How do you get NetBSD to recognize other (physical) partitions?  I'd
like to mount my Windose and ext2 partitions from NetBSD.  Didn't see
anything in the FAQ (but I admit I didn't look very hard).

What do you need to get XF86 4.x on NetBSD?

    cs> Unless it's something like that damned
    cs> Intel i81x chip, should work okay[1].

I hate it when you do that.  Why does the Prince of Darkness own the
soul of the i81x?