Re: Tiresome not-even-newbie question

    Jim> I would *never* recommend a notebook installation as one's
    Jim> first Linux experience;

That depends on what you want to do with it.  If you are advanced
enough that a full screen text interface can keep you busy for weeks,
you can do a heck of a lot.  My Gateway 2k 3350 is still in that state
for NetBSD because XFree86 3.x doesn't support the video (Linux, with
XFree86 4.02, _barely_ does, and not all that well).  But all the
important stuff (kernel, bootselector[1], network (3Com builtin), zsh,
gcc, XEmacs, ssh, lynx, less, apache, python, and wget) worked
immediately no sweat.

Haven't tried audio yet, though, and still don't have a Japanese
environment for either NetBSD or Linux.

    Jim> I think it would be like two shy virgins attempting
    Jim> consummation - it may work out OK, or it may mean days of
    Jim> frustration.

I must be very lucky then, I've tried many times and never suffered
days of frustration.  Again tonight, maybe (don't tell my wife, it's
supposed to be a surprise).

Steve "The Immaculate" Turnbull

Footnotes:
[1]  I am never again going to install Linux without installing NetBSD
first; luv that bootselector!