RE: Linux/Mozilla related Short-Term Contract

I see this has become a flame unfortunately ...

> Constructive or not, it is most likely an accurate assessment of
> the ultimate
> outcome of this project given the source material.

The principal here is to accomplish a commercial objective.  If the
practical objective is accomplished that's the point.  If it can be
contributed back to the community even better.  What does your comment have
to do with the outcome of this project.

Then I ask you:

#1 what do you know of the objectives of this project
#2 what's wrong with customizing applications / env for a commercial
purpose.
#3 open source is great but the world does not revolve around it

> Hmmm ... can anyone think of a Japanization project that had its
> work committed
> into the main source tree (I'll stipulate FSF Emacs, but look how
> long it took
> that to happen)?

Who said anything about putting japanization work back into a source tree.
I have a specific application which will require a specialized Japanese
input capability.  It will connect back to existing software and will also
require custom software.  These comments don't make any sense.

> > Which reminds me:  why is it so *damn* hard to get some things
> working on
> > Linux -- there is so much  chaos.

I'll be more specific - I'm refering to applications for the most part.
Think about using Linux for a commercial application.  The application
support on linux in many areas is still very primitive.  There are bits and
pieces which can be put together, but in many cases there still not a
comprehensive framework of applications that work together.

> The third ... there we start getting into code quality, the importance of
> having a workable design _before_ coding begins, and so forth.
> CS 350 fodder.

Sure - then we agree that there are problems.

> Mozilla is an _excellent_ example of a project that tried to be everything
> to everyone, with detrimental results.

Maybe so - can you suggest another browser with a better level of support
which is open source?

> What would qualify as "constructive"?  "Good luck, you're going
> to need it"?
> I'm not going to apply for this job, so I'm calling it how I see it.

I won't comment here - I'm sure you know very little of me or my company.  I
wouldn't want to have to call on or compare your credentials.