Re: Backup on Linux

"Scott M. Stone" wrote:

> tar seems to have a 2GB limit when writing to a regular file, but I"ve
> seen it write 8GB to a tape before.  never hit the 10GB mark, though.
> could it be that your tape was really only 10GB or 8GB and you were
> getting a bad compression ratio?  sometimes the same type of media will
> come in different lengths, like DAT tapes that come in 60m, 90m, and 120m,
> and hold 1, 2, and 4GB respectively.

Im positive they are 12GB uncompressed. I guess Ill try bru again.

I tried "Arkeia", but it may be too complex for our needs. I didnt really like the
gui and it will take me far too long to figure everything out by command line.

Bru was simple enough. Now just have to see if it can break that 8GB limit.

A.Sajjad Zaidi