Re: Backup on Linux

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, A.Sajjad Zaidi wrote:

> Im interested in this as well since most of my personal data is on hard
> drives. The most feasable backup that I can think of is tape for now. They
> usually can store 12GB uncompressed and upto 24GB compressed.
>
> Not quite near the 70GB you re looking for, but better than the 650MB of a
> CD-R.
>
> By the way I have a question about tape backup. At work, we do all our backup
> on tape and I was using a trial version of Bru for a while. I didnt see much
> of a difference between this and tar so now we do it the old way using tar.
>
> We did have a problem recently when we added more data to the server. Tar
> stopped at about 10GB, complained there isnt any free space and just quit.
> That was after compression was turned on on the drive. Could this be a
> limitation of tar or is it something else?

tar seems to have a 2GB limit when writing to a regular file, but I"ve
seen it write 8GB to a tape before.  never hit the 10GB mark, though.
could it be that your tape was really only 10GB or 8GB and you were
getting a bad compression ratio?  sometimes the same type of media will
come in different lengths, like DAT tapes that come in 60m, 90m, and 120m,
and hold 1, 2, and 4GB respectively.