Re: tlug: Domain Name Registration (*.jp)

>These policies have their downside in terms
>of making it difficult for individuals, but on the other hand,
>you may have noticed that domain name speculation is not a
>problem here, owing to those strictures and the fact that one
>company can have only one domain name (unless during a
>transition period following a company name change, such as
>PHT -> TurboLinux).

Naruhodo.... :-)
I hadn't actually thought of that.
<sigh>
Guess I'll have to get a friend to go in with me on the web-board then...

>There are regional domains available, such as blech.kawasaki.jp
>type of things.  I believe (not positive) that individuals can get
>these.

Hmmm, I'll have to stroll over there and have a look...

>.com and .org domain names are becoming increasingly popular
>in Japan as a way to avoid the red tape.

A friend of mine in Shinjuku who is into speculation a bit just got a domain.to (tonga) as his way of getting around it. :-)

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn Gray
English/Japanese Translator
& Linux/Perl Gearhead
shawn@example.com

Graycastle Intercultural Communications | http://www.graycastle.com
The Mecca Online MultiCultural Forum http://www.graycastle.com/mecca/

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA