Re: tlug: Domain Name Registration (*.jp)

Shawn Gray (shawn@example.com) wrote:

> Am I reading it wrong, or are the regulations for .jp domain names really that tight? How to private individuals get domain names for their own personal use?

You are reading it correctly.  Only a registered corporation may
have a .co.jp domain, and a .gr.jp domain registration requires
two people who are representatives of the group (actually not
stupid, since one person can't very well go to JPNIC and say
he/she is a  group).  These policies have their downside in terms
of making it difficult for individuals, but on the other hand, you
may have noticed that domain name speculation is not a problem
here, owing to those strictures and the fact that one company can
have only one domain name (unless during a transition period
following a company name change, such as PHT -> TurboLinux).

There are regional domains available, such as blech.kawasaki.jp type
of things.  I believe (not positive) that individuals can get these.

.com and .org domain names are becoming increasingly popular in Japan
as a way to avoid the red tape.

Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com>               Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K./Global Online Japan      http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1702        Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA