Re: tlug: Potential Clinic

Jack Morgan (yojack@example.com) wrote:

> What does everybody think about doing something more hands-on at May's or
> another meeting? For example:  (1) an install fest; (2) Technical Q/A time,
> where people bring in their computers; (3) demostrations on
> using/configuring certin apps.?

Every install fest we've ever declared has been a total bust, with
essentially no one at all bringing anything for an install.  I
think the only install we ever did was a Sparc Linux install in Tengu
toward the close of a nomikai.  I brought a disk, Joe Marchak brought
a dinner box Sparc, we used somebody's Linux notebook as a serial
console, and Chris Sekiya did technical direction.  The Tengu
people probably thought we were nuts.  Oh, wait ...

So I would only want to do an install fest if 10 people each said
they would bring a machine they wanted Linux installed on, and put up
a 10,000 yen bond each, to be forfeited to TLUG if they either failed
to show or failed to bring a machine on which we would install Linux
:-)   (That's a joke, but I am serious about only doing an install
fest if there was huge demand; that demand has so far never shown
itself to exist.)

We could have Q&A clinics, but they are really only practical for
those with notebooks, since few people are going to drag a whole
desktop system to a meeting.

Demonstrating how to configure some things and make them work
properly has some value, and would be a good follow-on to Chris's
security talk, already scheduled for May.  We could have some TLUGgers
with notebooks bring them, and get a projector (or two) from Temple
and hold clinics on a configuring the system and applications.
Are there any particular things you would like to see covered?

Others' opinions?

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.