Re: tlug: Potential Clinic

    jb> Jack Morgan (yojack@example.com) wrote:
    >> What does everybody think about doing something more hands-on
    >> at May's or another meeting? For example: (1) an install fest;
    >> (2) Technical Q/A time, where people bring in their computers;
    >> (3) demostrations on using/configuring certin apps.?

Um, these really work best when you've got a lab to hand.  Maybe we
_should_ do the Tsukuba thing, I can't supply up-to-the minute boxen,
but I can supply a _lot_ of them (ni-juu-dai or so).  With help from
the outside (an ssh tunnel) we can have a real Internet connection,
too.

Maybe, if I can put together a reasonably solid firewall....  (The U
would be very pissed off if I opened a hole in the U-wide firewall.)
In fact, maybe between the firewall and the tunnel I could teach the
"Special Committee on Distributed Systems" something about security,
and insecurity, too.  I should invite them....

    jb> Every install fest we've ever declared has been a total bust,
    jb> with essentially no one at all bringing anything for an
    jb> install.

You obviously have forgotten the Great "Company Not To Be Named" Sparc
Installfest (or maybe you weren't here yet? but sure and it's on the
home page).  But that's the exception that proves the rule.

    jb> We could have Q&A clinics, but they are really only practical
    jb> for those with notebooks, since few people are going to drag a
    jb> whole desktop system to a meeting.

People with permanent connections and/or the boss's permission to
connect on a cron job could do it via network.  Again, works best with
an X-capable lab.

Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.