Re: tlug: Can I run an X server without a video card?

    Fredric> Yasuaki Kudo wrote:

    >> I'm now running VNC on it but it's clipboard feature is weird

    >> using emacs,
    >> Copying text FROM Linux TO Linux works.
    >> Copying text FROM Linux TO Win2k works.
    >> Copying text FROM Win2k TO Linux doen't work.
    >> I wonder why??

That's because there isn't a clipboard feature on X.  X11 has a
primary selection, which is quite transient---it only lasts as long as
the material is highlighted; a secondary selection, whose use I don't
know ;-); a vector of cut buffers, somewhat more permanent and
normally organized as a ring; and the MIT xclipboard client, which
works a lot like the Windows clipboard and maintains the cut material
more or less permanently.  To make matters more confusing, the Emacs
kill ring is conceptually completely separate from any of these.[1]

So most likely what's happening is that the clipboard feature of
windows is not implemented intuitively, by VNC or perhaps by the Linux
clients.

    Fredric> When I run X (PC-Xware, not VNC) on NT the copy/paste

It's really a shame that DESQview/X had to die.  For a DOS-based
program GUI implementation it wasn't a bad approximation to a
multi-tasking OS.

    Fredric> function differs depending on the environment. In a
    Fredric> emacs/Linux window mark copies and middle button pastes
    Fredric> (just as GOD meant it to be ;-) but in an MS-Word window
    Fredric> I have to use Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V to copy/paste.

Are you sure these actions can't be bound to a mouse button?

    Fredric> (It is weird, but so is mixing fire and water or X and Windows).

You could try NTemacs or (preferably) the NT port of XEmacs on
Windows.  A lot of work has gone into making the Windows clipboard, X
selections, and the Emacs kill ring work and play quietly together.
The developers would love another beta-tester, I'm sure.  (The Unix
versions of XEmacs don't know anything about MS Windows because
there's no way to access the NT console without running on the same
box---I guess VNC breaks this limitation, but I'm sure MS considers it
an evil hack.  Gtk made the same brilliant design decision, so you can
have all the limitations of NT without its instability on your Linux
box.)

Footnotes:
[1]  And don't mention Motif, which uses the selections in a way
incompatible with xclipboard and some other X clients.

Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.