Re: tlug: Sun 4M question

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Frank Bennett wrote:

> We have an old Sun 4M here that I would like to bring up as a Debian box.
> I have set up arp/rarp correctly, put a tftpboot image file in place, made
> a softlink to the appropriate filename so that the machine can ask for it,
> tweaked inetd.conf, nudged inetd, and done "net boot" from the ok prompt
> on the Sun.
>
> The tftp load runs normally until the file counter shows about 200000 or
> so, and then it abruptly ends with a message "Interrupt level 15", and
> returns to the ok prompt.

is the image corrupt perhaps?  Is it set to mode 666 (chmod) ?

> I have done network installs to similar machines before (including this
> very box, which has another, now corrupted Linux system on it at the
> moment).  Does this error mean that I now have a large four-footed
> paperweight on my hands, or does it point to something in software or
> firmware that can be corrected?
>
> We also have a "Netra" here that the guy who used do network maintenance
> passed on to me.  What breed of kernel image should I throw at this one?

what kind of Netra?  We have a bunch of Netra t1/105s here which are the
nifty 1U-high deals.  The t1s at least are UltraSPARC-64s.  Not sure about
the older 'netra' models.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD