tlug: Re: XIM/Kinput2 SNAFU

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

>     Mike> But XIM still doesn't work with kterm (I have
>     Mike> kterm-6.2.0-9JRPM60 from the Linux Japanese RPM Project
>     Mike> installed). The kinput protocol works, but XIM doesn't.
>
> Make sure it was compiled with XIM.  I don't trust the JRPM people to
> do that right.

OK, I compiled kterm-6.2.0 myself now. It seems to support XIM by
default, therefore I think it is unlikely that the JRPM people messed
this up.

There seems to be no difference between the kterm-6.2.0 which I
compiled myself and the kterm-6.2.0 from the Japanese RPM project.

In both cases Japanese input works with the kinput protocol, but
nothing happens with XIM.

I have the same problem with rxvt configured with support for XIM:

    ./configure  --prefix=/opt/stow/rxvt-2.7.2 --enable-everything --enable-languages --enable-xim --enable-xterm-scroll

but nevertheless XIM doesn't seem to work with rxvt.

XIM works well in XEmacs and even in Mozilla-M13. When I press the
`Kanji'-key, in XEmacs and Mozilla-M13, I can see in the debugging of
`kinput2' that something happens. With kterm-6.2.0 and rxvt, nothing
at all appears in the debugging output of `kinput2'.  Therefore I
guess that my setup of kinput2, Canna, and the glibc-locale is correct
now and the problem is on the side of kterm and rxvt.

Does XIM work for you in kterm and/or rxvt?

Mike

--
Mike Fabian   <mike.fabian@example.com>   <mike@example.com>

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD