tlug: Netmask question

Hello everyone,

I have a problem that I'm sure is simple to solve, but I've been stumped
on this.

When I connect via ppp to my ISP via gol, I am assigned an ip that is one
of the following forms:

xxx.yyy.8.zzz
xxx.yyy.9.zzz
xxx.yyy.10.zzz

When I connect, I can always ping outside computers and do nslookup
regardless of which kind of ip I am assigned. However, I can only telnet,
irc, and www if I am assiged an ip of the form:

xxx.yyy.8.zzz

So I can ping regardless of which ip I was assigned, but I can only use
other protocols if I have an ip that ends in xxx.yyy.8.zzz

I happen to be using IP masquerading on this computer but I don't _think_
that has anything to do with it. The other computers behind the masq
behave the same way as the gateway computer. If the linux box has an 8.zzz
ip, the computer behind the masq can www and telnet. If not, it can only
ping.

If I do an /sbin/ifconfig, it tells me that the netmask on my ppp
connection is 225.225.225.225. Is that wrong?

How can it be that I can ping in any case but I can only telnet and www if
I have an 8.zzz ip?

Thanks a lot!

Julien

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae