tlug: Netmask question

    Julien> When I connect via ppp to my ISP via gol, I am assigned an

Excuse me?  Your ISP is not GOL, but you connect via GOL over PPP?
Try that again, in great detail.

    Julien> ip that is one of the following forms:

    Julien> xxx.yyy.8.zzz
    Julien> xxx.yyy.9.zzz
    Julien> xxx.yyy.10.zzz

    Julien> When I connect, I can always ping outside computers and do

Which outside computers?  The same ones you cannot telnet to?  Give
examples of the IP addresses or domain names you are trying, unless
it's classified defense information....

    Julien> nslookup regardless of which kind of ip I am
    Julien> assigned. However, I can only telnet, irc, and www if I am
    Julien> assiged an ip of the form:

    Julien> xxx.yyy.8.zzz

/sbin/route -n output, please.  (The '-n' suppresses DNS lookups on
the gateways; you probably don't need to do this since you say
nslookup works.)

    Julien> If I do an /sbin/ifconfig, it tells me that the netmask on
    Julien> my ppp connection is 225.225.225.225. Is that wrong?

I think that's probably OK, since PPP means Point-to-Point Protocol.
This just says that there is only one (other) computer on the local
network attached to ppp0.  (In particular, this means that AFAIK you
cannot ping your own computer over a PPP interface until you have set
up routing information.  This makes physical sense; you don't have a
"loopback" to yourself on PPP, whereas in ethernet you do.)

Give us the whole output of /sbin/ifconfig, too.

    Julien> How can it be that I can ping in any case but I can only
    Julien> telnet and www if I have an 8.zzz ip?

ping uses ICMP, not TCP, which might be one difference.  But AFAIK
nslookup uses UDP/TCP.  Dunno.

Sounds to me like you've got something evil hardwired in your routing
tables or the ISP is screwing up.  If you're working via GOL, you're
going to have to get help from them, probably, since their firewall
doesn't allow us to look in.

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae