Re: tlug: Netmask question

Sorry about bad english at first. I meant GOL is my ISP, and those were
the ips I was assigned when I connect to GOL.

>     Julien> When I connect, I can always ping outside computers and do
>
> Which outside computers?  The same ones you cannot telnet to?  Give
> examples of the IP addresses or domain names you are trying, unless
> it's classified defense information....

I try telnetting www.redhat.com on port 80 as my default. That, and I try
irc on server irc-2.mit.edu

> /sbin/route -n output, please.  (The '-n' suppresses DNS lookups on
> the gateways; you probably don't need to do this since you say
> nslookup works.)

Will do.

> I think that's probably OK, since PPP means Point-to-Point Protocol.
> This just says that there is only one (other) computer on the local
> network attached to ppp0.  (In particular, this means that AFAIK you
> cannot ping your own computer over a PPP interface until you have set
> up routing information.  This makes physical sense; you don't have a
> "loopback" to yourself on PPP, whereas in ethernet you do.)

Ok.. I thought it might not be a netmask question since ping and dns work.

> Give us the whole output of /sbin/ifconfig, too.

Will do also.

>     Julien> How can it be that I can ping in any case but I can only
>     Julien> telnet and www if I have an 8.zzz ip?
>
> ping uses ICMP, not TCP, which might be one difference.  But AFAIK
> nslookup uses UDP/TCP.  Dunno.
>
> Sounds to me like you've got something evil hardwired in your routing
> tables or the ISP is screwing up.  If you're working via GOL, you're
> going to have to get help from them, probably, since their firewall
> doesn't allow us to look in.

Ok. I'll do a detailed experiment tonight and post what the results of
route, netstat, and ifconfig were for various ips I was assigned. I will
also try disabling all MASQing, although I think I had tried that before.

Julien

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae