re: tlug: compatible NICs

    Scott> as a side note, I still wonder why none of the Linux
    Scott> distributions handle IP address assigning like Solaris does
    Scott> -- ie, create /etc/hostname.eth0 and put the name in there,
    Scott> then bind it to an IP addr in /etc/hosts..  Solaris's
    Scott> system seems more straightforward/easier to configure by
    Scott> hand than any of the Linux distributions' various schemes
    Scott> for doing this.  At least, the distros that I've *seen*.

Doing anything static like that is asking for trouble, don't you
think?  One of my pet peeves is that my notebook has three separate
static addresses on eth0, as well as dynamic addresses on ppp0 and
(very rarely) on eth0 as well.  This would be even messier to deal
with in Solaris fashion than it is under Debian (where I hack
/etc/init.d/network and /etc/pcmcia/network to check for interfaces
being up).

And what happens if you're doing subnetting or have to deal with
non-standard broadcast or network addresses?  Where is the gateway set
up?

I just don't see what's so hard about filling in the blanks in
something like

#! /bin/sh
#
# network	Establish the network connection.
#
# Version:	@(#)network  1.2  14-Nov-1996 miquels@example.com
#

# Ethernet device configuration.  Configure it or start SLIP/PPP below.
IPADDR="192.168.1.4"		# Your IP address.
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"		# Your netmask.
NETWORK="192.168.1.0"		# Your network address.
BROADCAST="192.168.1.255"	# Your broadcast address (blank if none).
GATEWAY="192.168.1.254"		# Your gateway address.

# Configure the loopback device.
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0 dev lo

# Start the ethernet device.
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
/sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ ! -z "$GATEWAY" ] && /sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY}

It seems that using "networks-for-numskulls" type scripts causes far
more problems.

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD